Often I’ve heard about how Japan is a very hard to start a church and that young people are not interested in God. My experience has not been like that at all. I’ve experienced youth in Japan to be very friendly and open to new things- for better or worse. We decided to go and ask young people what they think about God for ourselves. I had a feeling it would be very different than what I heard. Here are the questions and answers. ( Survey done by Lifehouse Osaka)
There were over 200 young people ( mostly students) interviewed on the street in Osaka over a period of about a week.
Question one: Do you believe in “God”?
95% said yes. 5% said no.
Question two: Do you believe He is good or bad.
Of those who answered yes to the previous question 90% said he is good!
Question three: If you could know God Personally, would you want to?
Of the people who answered yes to the first question 90% said yes!
Question four: What’s your biggest fear? Top answers
1. I won’t be able to find a job
3. Uncertainty about future.
Question Five: If you could ask God one Question what would it be?
1. What is my destiny?
2. Why am I alive?
3. What happens when I die?
4. What about my future?
Some more interesting insights were.
1. The people who rejected the concept of god were most over 30 and those who accepted the reality of God were mostly under 30.
2. This doesn’t mean that people are really willing to follow Jesus. It just means their hearts are open to hearing about the gospel from a friend.
3. If we make genuine friendships with people, young Japanese want to see our lives and hear what God has done in our lives. What an amazing opportunity to share Jesus with this generation!
4. A lot of the surveys led to really great conversations about what young people believe. We were surprised how open and honest young people were. There was very little negativity about spiritual things. But also a very vague understanding. This isn’t surprising given that out of the 7,700 or so churches in Japan very few have regular ministry to youth. This is something we are excited about being part of the solution to. Just a part, but we are excited about it!
If you are in Japan to share Jesus, I hope this is encouraging to you. Let’s Continue to share the good news about Jesus with our cities all over Japan!